Music Banter - View Single Post - Thoughts on the future of the Music Industry: Parts 1 & 2
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

It is silly to have two separate threads, but I'm sure a mod can fix it up.

I thought it was a pretty decent essay, eloquently written and fairly well organised. Although the gaping whole in your discussion was of piracy and illegal music downloads, which is I think where the record companys are taking the biggest hit, and that is why I can't forsee them becoming more successful like you're predicting.

Quote:
n. So what is the purpose of the album anymore? There is no need for the collection of songs into a single place. The consumer wants to create their own collection of songs in a single place, and create their own identity as defined by their music.
This completely ignores the album being an artistic whole, becoming more than just the sum of its parts, generally I want to download a whole album not just one or two songs. The attitude you're advocating is more that of the extremely casual music listener.

Quote:
People are no longer looking to identify themselves with a scene, but rather identify themselves as an individual.
Can't agree with this, music is still hugely associated with subculture.

But overall, nice job : )
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote