Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Albums I think you should hear
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
streetwaves
Music Addict

53. Sun Ra - The Magic City (1966)

Along with Atlantis, my favorite Sun Ra album. I think it might even be my favorite jazz album of all-time, but I'll have to listen to the contenders again one day and make the best decision. This album is just remarkably ahead of its time.

54. Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980)

It's hard for me to point out one single flaw with this album. Few albums have passed the test of time as well as Remain in Light has - but I guess that's what I'd expect from something so remarkably forward-thinking and perfectly executed. This is in my top ten for good reason.

55. Television - Marquee Moon (1977)

While I didn't listen to 'Marquee Moon' for the first time and say "wow, that's the best album I've ever heard", I did think to myself, "wow, they really did pull that off perfectly". They really did. This is one of the most perfectly executed albums of all-time (certainly of the punk era), and it's also difficult to decide whether this is punk or post-punk. Truly a milestone. Oh, and this might be one of the best guitar albums ever.

56. Throbbing Gristle - Second Annual Report (1977)

This is an extreme record, probably one of the more disorienting (and maybe disgusting) ever. Worth hearing, although you probably won't want to turn this on for a road trip with your buddies.