Music Banter - View Single Post - The National - Fake Empire
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

I was no fan. It lacked a ton of originality and whenever you have someone mouthing the lyrics (or even the singer singing them) its filler to me.

The math equation I came up with was
The video for "Until it sleeps" x The video from the ring + indie/thrift store garb = this video

Also, it appeared to be filmed in the rural Midwest and I've always gotten a vision of this taking place in a city. I'm not saying my vision must be adhered to but I'm not sure whats so "fake empire" about farm land and the occasional Silo.

if I had to direct the video I'd have done it in black and white (and for the diamond slippers I'd have them look fancy, but not actually be in a color).

I think I'd also have a relationship occurring within the film, where she's dragging him through the city in off to the next impetuous "it" thing.

I think I'd like to have a lot of shots of the city at night, lit up and looking out across the layout as they run from some foolish, erudite party to the next. The female in the song to me is half Daisy Buchanan and half Janis Joplin. A sort of Penny Lane of the literary sect.

He'd be more of a Leonard Cohen type, more for the style than the voice, and would be appear to be trying to hold the whole big mess (and maybe the relationship) together.

I think I've been thoroughly influenced by the Jay McInerney I'm reading.