Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes- it's my list of favourite albums thread
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

10 ft. Ganja Plant-Midnight Landing (2003)

An amazing record that combines Roots Reggae and Dub yet it sounds like it's a long lost classic from the legendary Trojan record label that was THE Reggae label from the 70's. Most of the tracks were written, rehearsed and cut in the same day which lend's the music an authentic and natural vibe. Reggae music has always been built upon the foundation of honesty; at least musically.The problem with many albums of this nature is that they can become tedious or almost mass produced and missing the point of the music in the first place. Dishonesty in Reggae music is easily spotted. It shares many traits with Blues, Soul and Funk in that respect.

Happily this is so well done and the balance between and Reggae and Dub so balanced, it never falls into that trap. The basslines are fuck heavy, the horns groovy and the guitar rich. Bass lines are one of the main attractions to me in many forms of music. Whether this is a subliminal connection or purely an easily recognisable asthetic is a debate for myself but I know that I certainly equate a rich Bass line to warmth and passion. Even sensuality on occasions. For this reason, bands such as TFGP who pay reverence to it's origins, appeal to me much more than a band who may well sound more refined but who are using a successful template to sell records and not absorb the roots and tradition. In this respect TFGP stand as one of Reggae/Dub's finest exponents outside of it's homelands.

MySpace.com - 10 Ft. Ganja Plant - Hawaii - Reggae - www.myspace.com/10footganjaplant

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”