Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes- it's my list of favourite albums thread
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

65daysofstatic-One Time For All Time (2005)

Post Rock is an intriguing genre. A genre of music that has become immensely popular in underground circles in recent years, yet it lacks originality and a uniqueness that many people desire in modern music.It takes it cues from adhering to an Ambient template and holding onto that. Time and time again, Post rock has been compared to many non-orchestral film scores. An accurate but misleading comparison. PR is about the here and now and not the future or past. Melodic hooks are not needed. The idea is to create a perfect ambience that when (usually) devoid of any vocal tracks, it can concentrate fully on the ambience and not fit in with any particular musical fad at any one time. It exists in it's own little world and you can enter this world as and when you can. The one major problem of Post Rock is that bands are so intent on creating this ambience, they lose certain individual characteristics of the band and they ultimately end up sounding so similar it detracts from the reason why they started in the first place.

What sets this one a little apart from many other Post Rock bands is that it is really shit heavy in parts and quite technical but not to the point of excess. There is a healthy dose of Electronic beats and loops that break up the traditional Post rock sound. An album that can be heavy AND ambient at the same time is win-win for me. I feel like I'm drowning aurally when I hear this but that is definitely a good thing.

Till the fuel runs dry…

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”