Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Occupation Assignment for Math Class?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxawwxsugarxx View Post

As a music artist, how do you feel about your success in the industry?

Do you mind whether or not you make a lot of money?

Is the money aspect have a big part in deciding whether or not to perform or write somewhere?

If you could answer these questions, and just tell me a bit about what you do and where you career is leading, I'd be eternally grateful.
i never tried to make an impact on the commercial music industry so having been offered a handful of shows in the past through friends has just been a bonus. i think success really depends on the individual's perspective on what music is and how it relates to them.

if someone offers me money after hearing me play music i'll smile and say thanks. good gear is not cheap.

money isn't a factor in what i create but it would be a factor for out of town performances. it would really depend on whether or not there's another reason for me to make the trip. if i have friends or it's a place i've always wanted to visit then the show (and its payment) become secondary, but if the performance is the only reason i'm in the town then i'd expect to at least break even.

from a local perspective i see no reason to get shafted. if a club owner isn't offering worthwhile compensation for their entertainment then don't sign up for a gig there. word of mouth goes a long way and most people know what places to play and which ones to avoid. bars and their management rely on their underground reputation just as much as an up and coming band relies on theirs.

my music 'career' has never amounted to much. then again it all comes down to personal perspectives. i'm a 3rd generation musician (if not longer), i've seen the toll that life on the road can have on people directly and indirectly. i'm not really that interested in being the star of the show. personally i feel i'm successful at creating music every time my friends and i play together, and that's really all i want from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote