Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

10 - jane's addiciton 'kettle whistle' - yeah it's a compilation but it was also my first taste of JA's music and unlike most comps, it wasn't just a collection of singles pulled directly from the albums. the live version of 'three days' is incredible.

9 - the jimi hendrix experience 'ultimate experience' - yes, another comp. but it was my first real taste of hendrix and it covers pretty much all the highlights from the 3 experience discs.

8 - soundgarden 'superunknown' - it's the album that really pulled me into my generation's music.

7 - fear factory 'demanufacture' - my first taste of metal with a singer who could go from growling to singing with ease and a full album that didn't have any guitar solos.

6 - the chemical brothers 'dig your own hole' - up until i heard the singles for this disc (setting sun / block rocking beats) i thought all electronic music was garbage. then again all the electronic music i had heard prior actually WAS garbage.

5 - monster magnet 'dopes to infinity' - sludgy psychedelic goodness that opened up doors for all sorts of other stoner rock.

4 - tomahawk 'anonymous' - a traditional 4 piece rock band that ends up sounding like the soundtrack for a native american period piece. they also accomplished it without having bus loads of guest musicians or each person playing 20 different instruments.

3 - SIANspheric 'there's always someplace you'd rather be' - i'd always liked whatever shoegaze i'd heard in the past but this was the first full album i was able to listen to. the closer 'puff, analogue, intelligent jungle' is massive.

2 - eric dolphy 'last date' - a fantastic live performance 3 weeks prior to his death, his playing on 'you don't know what love is' is sublime.

1 - red hot chili peppers 'blood sugar sex magik' - i wore out the cassette then i wore out the cd, that's how much i listened to it. i learned how to play the album on guitar and bass. i even went to a haloween party wearing a sock on my ****. i don't really care for the chili peppers anymore but i'd be a fool to deny their impact on my development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote