Music Banter - View Single Post - Conservapedia
Thread: Conservapedia
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #30 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitonica View Post
Perhaps, but in both cases the sites would have been established by self righteous and dangerously certain individuals who simply wish to insulate themselves from conflicting opinion. The whole concept of creating an encyclopedia with an obvious bias is moronic.
Oh I totally agree. I just wanted to make sure that everyone didn't just bash on conservatives as if they are the only absolute evil.

Quote:
What? I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. Altruism doesn't preclude a man to value his survival, it's entirely possible to concern yourself with both your own life and others. I certainly try to give to others, sometimes at the expense of my own wishes (altruism), but I am still a rational human being.
Altruism specifically calls for putting another's interests above your own. If this is the case, then you put another's life before your own. If you put another life before your own, you do not care about your own survival because your own life is not your highest value.

Giving to others isn't necessarily altruism. You can give to others in your own rational self interest. It is just that you must never give more than you will receive. Otherwise you are irrational.

Quote:
You seem to be advocating greed and a self-centered approach to life which you try to justify to yourself by calling altruism evil.
My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

—Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged 35th anniversary edition

Now I do not follow this philosophy because I am irrational and chose religion (Christianity,) but this philosophy is the most logical philosophy out there.

Quote:
Quite right because the other extreme, selfishness is a much better virtue to build a country on.
Rational self-interest.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote