Music Banter - View Single Post - The 60's Psych Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Barabajagal
Music Addict

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown is creepy. I love it, but if you listen to the entire thing, he keeps singing the same lines about burning in hell and the price of sin over and over again. Then he goes on to talk about some girl he likes and it's really creeper-ish...I wouldn't want to be pined after by Arthur Brown.

Anyway, great thread about my favorite kind of music. I have loved the reviews so far and would like to contribute one of my own here, though unfortunately I can't post links to pictures or videos yet.

Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation

This is my favorite recording by Jefferson Airplane, and they had a handful of essential albums. It is easily their darkest album, endlessly brooding and contemplative. If you are a fan of Grace Slick's vocals, Crown of Creation showcases her voice beautifully on several songs. Jorma Kaukonen's guitarwork is easily recognizable by his style and I would say he was one of the best of the '60s, once he falls into place on a song or jam it becomes infectious. Jack Cassidy's basslines on this album stand out - moody, and often with a ferocious drive to them.

1. Lather - I think this is easily Grace's best vocal. If you know her only as the powerhouse that sang White Rabbit and Somebody to Love, you are in for a surprise. She sings with morose, almost twisted gentleness here. The lyrics will snag you immediately into their depressing story.

2. In Time - A beautiful song of longing, with Marty on lead vocals and Grace echoing him.

3. Triad - Proof of how controversial the Airplane could be. This is another low-key Grace vocal, in which she sings about being in love with two men, and offering them the chance to go on with her "as three." Brilliant song.

4. Star Track - This is a Marty vocal and he sings by leaning into the song with a casual intensity, I picture a pair of sunglasses and a cigarette dangling from his hand as he doesn't give a sh*t.

5. Share a Little Joke - As opposed to the calm, cool, collectedness of the last track, this one is desperate and seems painful.

6. Chushingura - This is the only throwaway track on the album, it's just a minute of random noise and feedback at the end of side A.

7. If You Feel - This track kicks off the second half with a BANG. The rhythm section beats the thing into oblivion, and the guitar gets into such a groove you wonder if it'll ever return from it. Probably my favorite guitar work from Jorma...ever.

8. Crown of Creation - This second half of the album is where you'll want to listen specifically to the bass - it's like Jack gets a second wind and kicks it into high gear.

9. Ice Cream Phoenix - Another song with Grace and Marty layered on top of the same vocals at the same time. Great drum groove on this track.

10. Greasy Heart - So much attitude in this song, it feels like Grace is aurally flipping you off. The irony is that she's singing about people who care too much about their appearance - and she admitted the song was about herself.

11. The House at Pooneil Corners - Best song on the album. It starts with a bassline that bottles insanity, then plunges into some of the darkest lyrics they've ever written (think apolocolypse...end of the world...silence...) The vocals are dark, straining and desperate, the guitar loops you into a trance, the bass never relents....it's a killer song to close the album with. Listening to it really feels like the end of the world.

If I could post a link, I would do so for either the first or last song, so if you are interested try one of those on youtube.
Barabajagal is offline   Reply With Quote