Music Banter - View Single Post - An Infinite Number Of Things That Pisses Me Off About Music
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #1506 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
while it's great that the net has made it possible for a lot of overlooked bands from the 80s to gain attention it's not entirely accurate to judge the decade based on modern perceptions of the music industry.
Quote:
you had to do a hell of a lot more than just log onto a website to just learn about the existence of a specific underground band let alone actually hear their music back then.
That seems like a non sequitur to me. It seems like you're addressing a completely different question. If the question is "How easy was it to find good current music during the 1980s?" then yes, the 1980s might lag behind other decades due to much of the best music being non-mainstream and no ability to use the Internet to discover music.

But, to me, that isn't the question at hand. The question at hand is "Did the '80s produce less good/great music than other decades?" In evaluating that question, it's perfectly reasonable to look back and apply modern understanding. Whether or not that music was readily available to most people at the time (some of it was, some of it wasn't), it was all produced then and is readily available to us today. As far as the '80s contribution to our current pool of music, there was a tremendous one.