Music Banter - View Single Post - Neutral Milk Hotel
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #114 (permalink)
spencermang
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkauf1 View Post
Let's be honest, a lot of Elephant Six isn't all that good (some good songs, sure, but not fantastic), but Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over the Sea is an amazing album
that could be said for any music scene, though - especially one as expansive as elephant six, and i really don't think that the awesomeness coming from them was as diluted as say, the late 90's portland scene for example. it's really amazing to see so much music come from so many people, and so much of it be excellent. sure, there's some bad stuff, but at least the intentions were good. one thing you're guaranteed when listening to anything out of the collective is that it won't be mediocre. you'll either love it, or you'll come away with the feeling that while you don't want to listen to this anymore, you've never heard anything like it either. there's plenty of their stuff that i don't like, but the later work of apples in stereo was the only stuff that really left me disappointed (most of the stuff released through spinart).