Music Banter - View Single Post - The Debates
Thread: The Debates
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #353 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
So what about pre-Carter? Wouldn't you say the jump to Carter made an impact on this field thus proving your previous point false?
No I'd say previous to Carter I was a student and didn't make very much money thus I have no way of knowing of what I would have been taxed at that time, I bet I could guess pretty close though.

Quote:
Welfare helped me throughout my childhood. I think having actually lived dependent on it for a good portion of my life means it hasn't totally failed me. But thats an argument from emotion and not a logical point so I'll stop there.

Can you provide statistics on welfare and point out how, where, and why its failing?
People on Welfare are more likely to:

Be on Welfare in five years
Be addicted to drugs or alcohol
Be single parents
Be on Welfare in 10years
Be incarcerated
Be drop out of high school\college
Be on welfare in 20 years

All of this is true when compared to the non-welfare population in the US. The effects are no doubt a product of the cause but Welfare does not fix the problem as evidenced by the fact that more people stay on welfare then those who move on from it. It is intended to be a short time solution. It's not supposed to be enough to live on. If it is, it robs people of motivation to better themselves. Handouts never work. Taking motivation from a person subtly robs them of their dignity and self respect.

Quote:
Money spent on war is pretty big. 1.8 billion a week isn't exactly chump change.
We're still paying off World War II, google where do my taxes dollars go and there are several sites, of ambiguous credibility in terms of 100% accuracy, that will give you a better grasp of just how much War has cost us overtime and how being the "Good Guys" costs a whole lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote