Music Banter - View Single Post - Conservapedia
Thread: Conservapedia
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 08:07 AM   #59 (permalink)
Inuzuka Skysword
Existential Egoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyCal View Post
@bold Oh, you mistook me ~ i don't want to discuss Ayn Rand's philo ~ i understand that i changed it to suit myself.
Yeah, Objectivists hate that. Look at how they treat Nathaniel Branden.

Quote:
@underline Here's a question, same hypothetical people, the grandpa and little girl. He has the logic to reason that his life is not as valuable as that of the little girl, so if a choice has to be made, he makes the choice that will allow his line/blood/name to continue, which is in his best interests.
But then he regards himself as a sacrificial animal. Man must value his own life if he values reason. Man can still produce, even if he is retired, until he loses his reason. Plus, Ayn Rand was strictly against racism because you were blamed for what your ancestors did. I think the same applies here. Even if a member of your family is younger and has potential, you still don't value their life over yours. Now, that man can donate money to that girl or get her into a gifted program, even if it hurts him a bit, if he reaps the benefits of her productivity, or get something back. If he is going to die before he gets anything back, then it is useless. Now I am not to sure about Objectivist reasoning on your deathbed. Maybe he could give everything while he is on his deathbed because he is going to die before he enjoys anything. I don't really know about that position. I am not an Objectivist, I am a student.

Quote:
But, yeah, i know, that still boils down to what you're saying ~ it's just so damned hard to come to grips with the fact that, no matter what, we're selfish at the very core of our beings...
We're selfish because we are rational. That is the point of Objectivism. Selfishness is a virtue. (The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand) She even says that all selfishness means is to have concern with your own interests. It doesn't mean "beat everyone down and lie, cheat, and steal until you rise to the top in victory." The term has been corrupted.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote