Music Banter - View Single Post - Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose of Death...
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
MegaHassan
Groupie

Default Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose of Death...

Short, repetitive, but WHO CARES?

Exactly. Who gives a **** if this album isn't breaking any new ground? Who cares if this album didn't push the boundaries of thrash metal? Who gives a flying ****? I don't. Because this album is probably the best album of 2008. Its a big **** YOU to every other album released this year, its a big **** YOU to the rest of the thrash revival movement. Simply put, this album ****ING owns you.

I came across this album when I was browsing a well known metal download blog. I was looking at the latest entries, scrolling down the page when I stopped dead in my tracks. I saw this album's cover and thought “hmm, this seems interesting.” I immediately downloaded the album without checking the band's page on the Encyclopaedia Metallum, assuming that Toxic Holocaust were some 80's German thrash band. Twenty minutes later, the download was complete and I played the first track, Wild Dogs.

And guess what? I liked it. So I played the rest of the album. And guess what? It kicked ass. So I decided to check out the band on Encyclopaedia Metallum and was literally SHOCKED to find out that Toxic Holocaust are actually a modern retro thrash band! I was almost certain that this band came from Germany and this album was released in the late 80's! Considering that most of the modern thrash revival bands (Warbringer, Evile, Bonded By Blood) have a fairly modern and over-polished production, I was surprised that a band like Toxic Holocaust could release an album like Overdose of Death in this day and age!

Fast forward a month and a half later, and I finally decide to write a review for this great album.

Firstly, the production is very good. Good, not by modern standards, but good by thrash metal standards, OLD SCHOOL thrash standards. The guitar tone is thick and meaty, and instantly brings Motorhead and Venom to mind. I think that the guitar tone that Joel Grind created in this album is the best I've ever heard. It manages to remain sharp and filthy at the same time. The drum sound is pretty good and compliments the guitar tone well; it is neither too loud and neither too soft. Just perfect. As for the bass, it's not as clear as it was in Toxic Holocaust's previous albums, but it suits the guitar tone here.

As for the music itself, only one three words can sum it up. Short but sweet. With the exception of City of a Million Graves, all the songs are around three minutes in length, with most of them being less than three minutes. The riffs and drum lines don't show a lot of variety to be honest and it takes away from the album a bit, but if you just bang your head (as if up from the dead! Sorry for the cheesy Exodus reference!) you'll ignore that fact. Like Sodom's Agent Orange and Slayer's Reign In Blood, this album is more than the sum of its parts. Just remember: consume unhealthy amounts of alcohol (strictly optional!) and focus on banging your head, and all will be well! If you dissect this album thoroughly, its not actually very good. But when you listen to the actual music, you'll be forced to enter into a headbanging frenzy, drunk or not!

The strange thing about this album is that its pretty memorable, despite the fact that its repetitive and has little variety. I found myself singing along to Lord of the Wasteland the first time I heard it, and most of the songs are still stuck in my head. There is clearly something different about this album.

Highlights? Every single song! Right from Wild Dogs to City of a Million Graves! Who would I recommend this album to? Anyone who enjoys ass kicking thrash metal that has BALLS. Yes, BALLS. The BALLS that are missing in Warbringer, Evile and Bonded By Blood. If you don't like this album, you fail. You fail worse than Lars Ulrich on St. Anger. So don't waste time! Buy (or download, if you're short on cash like I am) this album or feel the wrath of the metal gods!

(comments appreciated)