Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles Influence on Progressive Rock
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
byrdsdylan65
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
I don't believe that, considering SMiLE's songs sound nothing like "Strawberry Fields Forever" (and are considerably more innovative, IMO). I googled that blurb and it seems to come from a comment on last.fm. The commentor claims it comes from the Wikipedia entry on Brian Wilson, but I didn't find this anecdote there.

In any case, there are plenty of competing anecdotes. McCartney has said that Pet Sounds made him re-think what a pop record could be and, after sitting in on SMiLE sessions, he remarked that SMiLE may have been the most ambitious pop record ever.

The Beatles may have experimented with Indian music and looping, but the way Brian Wilson assembled songs from recording fragments of this and fragments of that, and then stitching them together into a unified whole, I consider to be far more innovative and influential.
You forgot one thing in your statement it was Rubber Soul that was Brian Wilson Pet Sounds main inspiration.

It was upon hearing the 1965 Beatles album Rubber Soul that Wilson felt compelled to produce a work of uniform quality that would stand comparison. He said of the album, “I really wasn’t quite ready for the unity. It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs ... that somehow went together like no album ever made before, and I was very impressed.”

He added, “That’s it. I really am challenged to do a great album.”

They started trying things that no one had done in pop before - such as the sitar on Norwegian Wood. Then with Revolver nothing is held back - there are songs totally done with Indian instruments, songs with just strings and vocals, backwards vocals and solos are common throughout the album, the lyrics are highly eclectic, and they practically invented countless production methods that are still in use today.

There might not a more innovative song than "Tomorrow Never Knows" dude sampling, looping, droning with a repeated drum and bass lines are basically what you hear today in much of Modern Music today.

Last edited by byrdsdylan65; 10-27-2008 at 08:28 AM.
byrdsdylan65 is offline   Reply With Quote