Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' Review Corner
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

Wishbone Ash - Argus (1972)

Track Listing:
1. Time Was (9:44)
2. Sometime World (6:56)
3. Blowin' Free (5:20)
4. The King Will Come (7:08)
5. Leaf And Stream (3:56)
6. Warrior (5:55)
7. Throw Down The Sword (5:56)
8. No Easy Road (3:37)

A little note to start the review, I will not include the reissue track No Easy Road in the review while considering score, however I list it here and will mention it. This is because most versions of the album available to the savvy internet user do include this track. This album should need no introduction, it was named 1972 album of the year by Sounds Magazine and can be traced forward to being perhaps one of the most underlooked and influential albums of all time, especially and surprisingly within Metal.

The first track Time Was starts with a soft acoustic passage, slowly building and setting the mood creatively. The vocals have never been the strong point of Wishbone Ash, but I feel on this album they are so masterfully used within their limits, and provide a very strong backing to the music. The overall serenity of parts of this album are as much because the vocals are used in a very expert way as the instrumental work itself. The change from the serene to the first burst of energy comes and the transition feels natural, but unexpected to a first time listener. While it doesn't particularly rock hard, the whole scene is supported by seemingly random guitar licks which are very common within the album. The guitar work on all songs are absolutely exquisite and Time Was is no exception.

The duelling guitars are Wishbone Ash's lasting legacy. While it might have been common to have a rhythm guitarist on stage while providing support and rhythm to lead this new concept would change the whole way rock was viewed. The two different guitarists views on the songs flourish in the soloing and it's breathtaking to watch the eventual duel unfold. That being said, non-guitarists can appreciate the beautiful melodies that arise from such improvisation expression. The solos are indeed full of soul and very heartfelt. The two masters here are Andy Powell and Ted Turner who both put in stunning work. The equally important Rhythm Section comprised of Martin Turner (no relation) on bass and Steve Upton on drums both provide some brilliant work, even if their finest moments in the sun are on other albums.

Sometime World starts softly just as Time Was, but the guitar work is already present with a lazy solo complemented with some strumming deep in the mix. This eventually comes to the forefront and puts forward what is some of the finest subtle guitar work of the era. This song is stunningly simple and beautiful, yet there are certain flashes of extreme complexity that will cause a more intent listener to come offguard. The intricate way in which Ted and Andy form the passages under the strict rhythm of Martin and Steve is brilliant and works in almost every instant.

While the vocals may grate on someone not used to the less vocally focused prog bands it's important to note that while Wishbone Ash never had a distinctive vocalist their vocals have always been well handled. And at the end of the day, it's the guitars that sing the most, Sometime World contains myriad of solos that are briefly interrupted by the vocals and at the end of the day play a much bigger part. Near the end of the song, the final solo can for brief moments tug at your emotions, and for something this early into the albums context and ambience that is quite powerful indeed.

Blowin' Free contains one of the better songs to sing along to, and provides a brilliant contrast between the two different "voices" with lines of lyrics seperated by small bluesy guitar licks. The guitar work continues to stun and there is nothing finer to simply sit back, close your eyes and bask in the beauty that is this album. For once I'm at a lack of words, and that is something rather hard to achieve, no matter how many times I listen to this album each new time floors me. Each time leaves me wondering why I have been neglecting it, even bothering to listen to other music. But each time I also have to remind myself of the brilliant catalogue of other artists and it all seems worth it in the end. Blowin' Free ends on an appropriate sonic climax build up and reinforced by the vocals and especially the rhythm section.

What can only be described as, along with Phoenix on the first album, as one of Wishbone Ash's crowning achievements The King Will Come springs to life with a military style drumming and a brilliant wah-wah intro. The following licks build upon and provide one of the most epic, relatively short songs within progressive rock. Compelling lyrics and beautiful vocal harmonies continue to build on the brilliance of the songs, and the whole affair is a roller-coaster ride of emotions. Every successive variation on the main theme leaves you hanging for a solo. And when it finally comes it is a joy to behold, every bit as funky and sounding every bit as fresh now as it did back in 1972 it is amazing to consider what the musical landscape was like back then.

But the song isn't over yet, leaving a passage for live improvisation as was the style of the time they continue on with the main themes and once again give in to the beautiful vocal harmonies. As pretentious as the playing is on this song it never shines a negative light onto it, infact it makes it seem all the more organic as if the whole band are doing exactly what they want to and feel incredibly comfortable in doing so.

Leaf and Streme is densely layered and incredibly beautiful, a tranquil intermisson between the King Will Come and Warrior. The Vocal performance is once again very nice and complimentary to the music. Everything is just done to uttermost perfection here, and it shows. Warrior is very high in energy, providing a rusty jangling riff and some more beautiful lead guitar work to introduce the song. Warrior deals with a very basic concept, infact many of the songs skate around the same themes but not enough for it to be considered a proper concept album.

Warrior is about someone going off to fight, finding the concept of slavery to be far less favourable than victory or death in combat. The enduring melodies work so well here with the concept, an enduring feeling of what is going on is indeed reflected within the guitar work. And the chorus is definitely the most fun to sing along to within the whole album. The way the solos flow here is something which puts Wishbone Ash in a league of their own when it comes to melodic guitar work and the broad genres of the guitar work prove a beautiful contrast to the quite standard rhythm and themes.

Throw Down the Sword continues the concept of the Warrior, now that the war is over in a stalemate they have to return to their every day lives, to throw down their swords, or so to say. The introduction builds up intensity brilliantly with some more military style drumming from Steve Upton until he eventually settles into a regular beat. It will have your head bobbing and the way the song is restrained here at the start can be frustrating, but in a way that very much adds to the music. There are some brilliant bits of lyric in this album and Throw Down the Sword contains a lot of them. It proves that even the most common, often puerile themes can be conveyed in a confident and competent manner.

What I consider the climax of the album is all brought together here, a huge solo with dense layering and brilliant backing finishes this song, and what I consider the classic album. No Easy Road has been featured on re-issues as bonus tracks and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album. It's by no means a bad song, but it's very much more down to earth than the seemingly huge songs on the rest of the album.

This will be, along with Lizard the second 10 I will give out, very few albums can deserve such accolade, and very few will get it I can say for certainty that some other albums border on 10, but will most certainly fall short. This may change on review and relistening, only time will tell.

10/10

This album, while largely unknown today has influenced the face of modern rock and metal music immensely, having influenced bands such as Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden. Maiden would prove to be an especially important influence as it fronted the whole New Wave of British Heavy metal, and provided the basis of Power Metal as a whole (for better or worse). And many modern bands such as the Kings of Leon cite Thin Lizzy as influences, so there's even further secondary influence proven by Wishbone Ash and Argus. This album is essential for those wanting to further discover some of the roots of the less riffy side of metal, those who just love classic rock, and those who want to see what all the fuss is about within the prog community about a band who is only just considered to be within it.
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote