Music Banter - View Single Post - Marnie Stern
Thread: Marnie Stern
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Default Marnie Stern

"Marnie Stern is an American musician, songwriter, and guitarist. She resides in New York City and has garnered much acclaim for her technical skill and finger-tapping style of guitar play.[1][2]

In early 2007 Kill Rock Stars released her debut CD, In Advance of the Broken Arm. It was well received by critics, and most favorably The New York Times, citing it as "The year’s most exciting rock ’n’ roll album."[3]

In mid 2007, she toured the U.S. and U.K., with Hella's Zach Hill, and The Advantage's Robby Moncrieff in support of her debut record.[4] Later in 2007 she recruited Pterodactyl's term-time rhythm section of Matt Marlin and Zach Lehrhoff to back her during live shows.

She was named one of Venus magazine's "Greatest Female Guitarists Of All Time", Spring 2008 issue [5] and was nominated "Female Artist Of The Year" and "Punk Album Of The Year" for the 2008 Plug Music Awards. [6]

Marnie Stern's second album, entitled This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That, was released October 7, 2008 on Kill Rock Stars.[7] Upon release, it garnered the title of "Best New Music" from Pitchfork Media."

I've only given her latest album two listens (yes it was the Pitchfork review) but that was enough to see that this is something really special. Not sure how it'll hold out in the long run seeing as how I'm not usually a big fan of experimental music. It seems like a mix between The Mars Volta, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Pixies...and maybe Of Montreal as far as fractured song structures goes anyways...her guitar playing is really unique and the drumming is...can I say math rock? Anyhoo, check it out yourselves if you haven't already:

MySpace.com - Marnie Stern - NEW YORK, New York - Progressive - www.myspace.com/marniestern1

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote