Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Things That Piss Me Off About Video Games
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #330 (permalink)
Strummer521
Pepper Emergency!

Just an aside about the wiimote...I think it's an interesting innovation and I don't have too much experience with the wii to be able to say more than that. But it's obvious that a lot of gamers are not comfortable with making the jump toward the very new gameplay mechanics it requires. Personally, I'm not interested in having to control a game in non-traditional ways, although I do find the DS great for minigames and other secondary features (The wario giant slingshot in Super Mario World...being able to draw the designs on t-shirts in Animal Crossing as though you were drawing with a pen etc..). I think the idea of controls that make me move more than my fingers are an interruption of the immersion that makes gaming a unique experience. I don't want to be reminded of my own existence while trying to pretend I'm someone else.

Mostly I just wish that game companies would devote their push toward innovation to the f***ing software.

I realize that most of (or, at least, a lot of) the software is created by developers who are independent of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, but The companies which produce consoles still must have a ton of influence on what kinds of games are made, because they have to decide what they will release for their system.