Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
Radiohead90
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac View Post
Yes, Urban, the you may be right on all of these points, you may not. I don't have the desire nor the ability to check all of these facts. But even if the Beatles weren't the first to do so, shouldn't the fact that they were able to incorporate all of that count for something?
Here is my research and it only really proves the Beatles were innovative and they were either one of the first or the first to do these things in pop music

The Beatles "I Feel Fine" the first song to go number one with intentional guitar feedback.

"Rain'- first Pop Song with backward vocals

"Tomorrow Never Knows- first Pop song with backward guitar solo

"Love You To- first conscious effort attempt in pop music to emulate a non western form in structure and instrumentation. The Dawn of Indian Music in the West By Peter Lavezzoli other examples that precede this like "See My Friends", "Eight Miles High", "Norwegian Wood" and "Heart Full of Soul" show only influence.

"Tomorrow Never Knows"- first pop song that is based on Indian drone of tamboura The Dawn of Indian Music in the West By Peter Lavezzoli

The Tornadoes certainly did not start the British Invasion. Telstar is the first British song to go number one in 1962.There was no instant wave of British Rockers in 1962 Cliff Richard struggles in the American charts was the reason many thought British Bands would not make it. The Beatles broke through in America in 1964 and followed later that year The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, The Kinks and dozens of others.

The artful Roger: in The Folk Den with Roger McGuinn- The Beatles influencing the Byrds and Folk Rock

When the Beatles had come out, the folk boom had already peaked," McGuinn notes. "The people who had been into it were getting kind of burned out. It just wasn't very gratifying, and it had become so commercial that it had lost its meaning for a lot of people. So the Beatles kind of re-energized it for me. I thought it was natural to put the Beatles' beat and the energy of the Beatles into folk music. And in fact, I heard folk chord changes in the Beatles' music when I listened to their early stuff like 'She Loves You' and 'I Want To Hold Your Hand.' I could hear the passing chords that we always use in folk music: the G-Em-Am-B kind of stuff. So I really think the Beatles invented folk-rock. They just didn't know it."

Avant with Pop Music- "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" both songs have obvious pop influences but it also uses classical Avant Influences of Stockhausen, Cage and Varese

Here are some others

"Ticket To Ride- Predates the Kinks "See My Friends" in its use of guitar drone replicating Indian tonal concepts in rock music.

"Strawberry Fields Forever"- uses drum loops

'Revolver first record that uses common studio practice of Automatic Double Tracking which differs from double tracking and vocals through leslie speakers both common in music.

"Eight Days A Week"- an early use of volume swells.

The Beatles were not the first to use tape loops or backward tape in pop music. But they were the first to marry it with a repetitive drum and bass sound on "Tomorrow Never Knows" which is common practice today in various genres.

The Beatles influenced the Stones largely to write their own songs.
Watching Lennon and McCartney compose "I Wanna Be Your Man" this inspired Mick Jagger and Keith Richards to write more original songs. The Stones had mostly covered American Blues songs to this point. It was a big step for Mick and Keith, since they didn't consider themselves songwriters.

Last edited by Radiohead90; 11-01-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Radiohead90 is offline   Reply With Quote