Music Banter - View Single Post - How many genres?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 AM   #69 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default Sub-genres of metal -- wtf??

OK, way back at the dawn of Creation, when I was a lad and boybands roamed the Earth fighting for the Christmas Number One spot, there were two types of "heavy" music --- heavy(or hard) rock and heavy metal. Now it seems that like a clusterbomb going off in the skies above Kandahar, there are suddenly dozens!
Can anyone explain to this old codger what the difference is between the likes of power metal/thrash metal/speed metal/doom metal and so on, cos I'm really confused! What's happened to the music I loved?
And while we're on the subject (veering slightly off, I'll grant you), what happened to metal bands with long, headbangin' hair? I saw the cover of Kerrang! (which used to be my bible) and they have a band called Satyricon? The guy on the cover (presumably the lead singer/frontman) sure don't look like any metal singer I ever knew --- maybe Rob Halford, but I just wondered if this is the trend now, or does it even matter?
And now, I have to go have a cup of warm milky tea in the afternoon sun before my nap....