Music Banter - View Single Post - Epic Songs.
Thread: Epic Songs.
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

It can go either way, sometimes you get a great jam esque feeling and sometimes it just turns into half assed ambient crap. That's just talking about large instrumental segments, if the song can keep up lyrics throughout then I'm fine with it.

I love Voodoo Chile and (1983)A Merman I Should Be, because the guitar work never fails to hold my attention.

Hortz Fur Dehn Stekehn West by Magma also works extrememly well at almost ten, because of the evolution of the song throughout.

As with Starless by King Crimson which just relentlessly builds throughout the whole song. The album version is slightly longer than this.

Now for an example of failing, Cicatriz ESP by the Mars Volta starts off excellently before devolving into 4 minutes of spacey ambience and then picking up again. It really could have just kept going at near full pace. I still love the song, but it would have been better if it was a little less epic.

edit: Thanks Jackhammer.

Last edited by Fruitonica; 11-02-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: u only need the code after =. the www etc can be deleted
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote