Music Banter - View Single Post - Gurrumel by Geoffrey Gurrumel Yunupingu
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInCairo View Post
I more meant, more detail.
Ok. Not sure what to add further but I will try.

First I misspelt his name. It should be Gurrumul so if a Mod can fix that up I would be very appreciative.

His album is not a radical new acoustic sound. In fact the beauty of it is the simplicity and spirit of the songs. Think of Nick Drakes Pink Moon I guess though I am uncomfortable with that comparison.
I tend to read the lyrics translations from the cover notes so as to take in an understanding of the meaning of his songs. His voice has been described by a friend as angelic and that is apt. My wife enjoys it, always a plus . It is very much a sunny Sunday morning or late night listen as it is a very soft and quite recording.

There was a 2 part series on Geoffrey played over 2 evening's by Australia's ABC. You can have a look and listen here >>>>>.

Since posting this he has begun to get a bit more mainstream recognition due to various awards such as ARIA's and various other awards within the indigenous community. Link to quote. >>>>>
Quote:
SIR ELTON JOHN and Sting are among his fans and his solo album, Gurrumul debuted at No. 24 on the ARIA chart and No. 1 on the independent chart.

Yesterday, Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, the blind indigenous musician from Elcho Island, Arnhem Land who sings in Yolngu language, became a multiple ARIA nominee, picking up four nominations, including in the coveted categories of best male artist and album of the year.

Yunupingu avoided interviews at yesterday's nominations press call, held at Carriageworks at Eveleigh. His friend, producer and music collaborator Michael Hohnen, told SiT the singer was not motivated by fame or the media spotlight.

"The whole ARIAs is built around hype [and] he is still really trying to work out what it all means to him. I think he will be really happy when he is back telling people in Darwin and at home," Hohnen said. "The album reviews have had very little impact … I was reading him these words that sound really amazing from a journalist's point of view [but] for him the recognition he is getting now from being met at airports and people coming up and telling him they love his music. Those sorts of reactions are really touching for him."
When I have seen him perform on TV he has seemingly gained a bit of confidence and can even say hello to his audience, he is very very shy. He was a member of a band called Yothu Yindi who had a major hit in Australia called Treaty.

Hope that all helps.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote