Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #59 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Alright, here's one. Somebody help meh out! Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On: heralded by many as one of the best albums of the 1970s, I don't see how it's even one of the best FUNK albums of the 70s. I'm not even sure it's the best SLY album of the 70s. I've listened to it at least a dozen times. All I took away from it is that:

- it has about 3 very good songs,
- and another 35 or so minutes of what might as well be background music for a bar or a movie, devoid of any real hooks or anything particularly memorable
- the icing on the cake is that all of those non-singles tracks seem like some sort of great shameless drug-infused mess - which was probably never supposed to happen in the first place

So...am I missing something? Enlighten me.
Apparently it's all about the story behind the album. It was an uncanny time for Sly, and a controversial statement back in the day, especially for a big record company. It's all about the mystery that surrounds it. I would definitely recommend reading Continuum's 33 1/3 series, the one that focuses on this particular record. I didn't, and perhaps that's why I share in your sentiment. The above is just what I've heard.

My contribution to the thread:
Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote