Music Banter - View Single Post - Meshuggah!
Thread: Meshuggah!
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
Embracethedeath
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
Weird, I've never heard Shadows Fall ever referred to as anything but nu-thrash. I can't even hear any "core" in either band while I'm at it. I have no clue what Shadows Fall you're talking about but even though I highly dislike them I can't find any chugga chugga or breakdown. Am I totally missing something or do all dip****s refer to lousy metal as "metalcore" without knowing what the term means?
Nu-thrash must be a recently constructed term. Shadows Fall and Trivium are undoubtedly metalcore. It doesn't matter what the band calls themselves, they remain metalcore. Metalcore is basically melodeath with hardcore influences, and doesn't necessarily need breakdowns. Both Shadows Fall and Trivium have throaty "hardcore" vocals with clean vocals mixed in, which is quintessential metalcore. Both bands have riffing styles that mainly focus on melody, another common metalcore attribute.

Here's a site that considers both bands metalcore, and this is probably one of the most reliable metal-related sites your gonna find
Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Nu-thrash is either made up by you, or a term tagged on to bands like Trivium and Shadows Fall that don't want to associate themselves with the generally looked down upon "metalcore" genre. I know I'm right, Wikipedia doesn't even have a page for that genre!! hahaaha
Embracethedeath is offline   Reply With Quote