Music Banter - View Single Post - Obama - The next president of the USA. ITS OFFICIAL!
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #90 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
I don't think it'l' take more than a couple decades for the Supreme Court to take it up, but there are no guarantee's on their ruling.
3 potential seat openings under a democratically controlled executive and legislative

a current standing in one of the states (I'm hearing 3, but California's in the air), forcing a "separate but equal" view of civil unions. A ruling on which Supreme Court precedent stands.

I think a gambling man could place the spread.

If I may; a word about *** marrige. Forget the kids, and the sacredness of the institution. Forget using bumper sticker logic and soap box philosophy you overheard on the bus.

The West as a culture has surged forward, based solely one on thing, and thats equality. I won't get into the mechanics of it, but the idea that we afford everyone the same rights, albeit slowly, it what makes us move forward more quickly than the other global cultures. On this you can bank money.

We have, since the time of the romans treated women better, if not well, but better. Some would argue theres a glass ceiling but thats created by stereotypes that will die with the people that harbor them.

There has been slavery since the dawn of time, and race was often not the factor, but it through most of the west trickled out from good concious and here in the US, from religious conviction that in god's image we were created equal. In fact, Kansas's whole presense for being was to thwart the very institution of slavery. And while Dafur has since based its genocide on the skin color of people in the same religion, The west moves further forward further still.

Today homosexual rights is the new forefront in the quest to ensure that the principles that have guided us since the Greek empire through Napoleons Enlightenment, to the U.S. contitution remain refined and true. To look at this differently than any other struggle for equality in history is to fool yourself. If you have any doubts about where yous atnd on the issue, we can start a thread. I've already rambled far to far in this, a line of text that became a paragraph. To paraphrase a line "If one man is not free, then no men are free."

Freedom, if you believe in it, is not an "in the mood" philosophy. Freedom isn't a banquet from which you can pick and choose, theres no line item veto on the idea. Its all encompassing or it doens't exist....

what was this thread about again?