Music Banter - View Single Post - Air - Despite being French they are all that.
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
how do you figure it's an injustice?

there was a departure from moon safari to 10 000Hz legend and then they seemed to take a step back. TW seems to be a collection of the pop song stylings they played with on their first two full lengths without any of the extended instrumentals featured on those albums. 'mike mills' is nice but ultimately doesn't really go anywhere. 'le voyage de penelope' is just as short yet says so much more to my ears.

i guess it's the difference between having expectations for an album vs. not.
Injustice was too strong a word but be that as it may to me they head in differing directions within the realms of the genre. I find that MS is generally more chunkier and faster in style for most of the songs, the exceptions being say All I Need that has Beth Hirsch on vocals and Ce Matin La is muzak in style and could have been of PS.

TW was actually an album that grew on me from slow beginnings. I tend to prefer this as I have found over the years that the albums that hit with a bang initially tend to lose their edge over time. TW for me heads into the more dream pop territory and that may take some getting used to for those expecting another MS. Venus, Cherry Blossom Girl, Run, Universal Traveller, Another Day are all cases in point with Biological hammering that style home. Biological is actually one of my favourite Air songs period but I just reckon it may have passed under the radar for some. Even Mike Mills has that dreamy feel with full strings. The final track Alone In Kyoto is ambient dream pop and was used to wonderful effect in the movie Lost In Translation. Surfing On A Rocket is a bit faster. The ever so slightly more up tempo Alpha Beta Gaga even has a Banjo playing along with the strings and synths and that Banjo appears again on Biological as well. I am not too sure that I remember anything like that on MS.
I also think that the production has improved as the songs to me are more sharp. Nearly all of the songs just meander along, and maybe that is what you are not too fussed on. I have just had the 2 albums out and given them a play so that has been a bonus for a Saturday morning. Nothing like being forced to focus after making a big statement .

Just out of curiosity you say "doesn't really go anywhere". This is a term that I have never understood the use of in music. What would you say that it meant?
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote