Music Banter - View Single Post - New to classical music...
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Blue
Music Addict

Default New to classical music...

I have very much a growing interest in classical music, but really have not heard much. As of now, I could not tell you a composer I really like, because I've never sat down with the conscious intent of realizing who I'm listening to, and taking into consideration how they do what they do. I have heard some Baroque music, and liked what I heard, but don't really know what separates the different sects of the genre. I've always been one for slow and emotionally powerful music; I like things that really tear at your heart and soul (I imagine most classical music does that in some form though). I guess what I'm looking for is some possible ways to go about starting my journey through classical music. What are some key composers I should check out (I've heard big names like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Philip Glass, but don't really know much by any of them)? Any pieces in particular you feel I should listen to? Anything you feel would be a good suggestion, I'm all ears; I really love to listen, so anything you feel could be said, say it.

Thank you very much for any thoughts you may have.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote