Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #110 (permalink)
Brad Stengel
This Space for Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
My point being that Big Black were a huge influence on Nirvana and just happen to be better.

Here is a boring story for you all. In 1990 the bassist (at the time) from Napalm Death visited America and arrived back in England a week later with a CD from some band called Nirvana. He had 2 copies of which I had one (as he is a friend of mine) it was the original label and not the immediate reissue. It bored me then and I sold it. Disregarding the monetary loss, I was still correct in getting rid off a generic album.
Bleach or Nevermind?

And Nevermind for me has, 'Led Zeppelin 4 Syndrome' in that since every song has been so overplayed my whole life, it's shelf line is gone early, and theres no reason for me to listen to it unless it's a song not on the radio (Territorial Pissings).

That said, I still love In Utero and Unplugged, even though they've gotten their fair share of overplay, they haven't worn down as quick as Nevermind for me.

I really like Nirvana, not just for their music, but because Cobain so openly and passionately plugging his favorite bands in interviews has introduced me to:
The Pixies
The Stooges
The Shaggs
Killing Joke
The Vaselines
The Meat Puppets
Flipper
The Breeders

...and a bunch more. Might be the best band to get into to introduce yourself to the underground.