Music Banter - View Single Post - John Cale - A few albums
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
4ZZZ
Forever young

Back to the future.

Words for The Dying. 1989.

I have only come across this album in the last few weeks so was reticent to review it without giving it a fair listen. In researching it I have found there was a tendency to dismiss it by some fans and critic's but I like it. It is to me what the career of Cale encapsulates. The strangeness of the musically safe and the expectation of something experimental and this oddly sums that up. The album starts out with 6 tracks consisting of The Falkland Suite.
Their various titles are as follows. 1) Introduction, 2) There Was A Savior/Interlude I, 3) On A Wedding Anniversary, 4) Interlude II, 5) Lie Still, Sleep Becalmed and 6) Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night. They are all orchestral pieces with the lyrics being the poems of Dylan Thomas. As well as orchestra there is a boys choir. I tend to find this all softly and gently melodic for the majority of the time. I have always enjoyed Cales voice so have no issue with his singing. I am no reader of poetry so have no idea how the lovers of Thomas' poems would react but it is all fine with me. Of all the pieces Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night would be my favourite.
The next 2 tracks are Songs Without Words I and II. Both short piano based tracks I find them pleasant and enjoyable enough and in keeping with the direction of the album. The final song is The Soul Of Carmen Miranda and some would consider that this piece of pop was out of keeping with the general feel of the album. Well that's Cale, get used to it. This may not have been out of place on the magnificent Cale/Eno Wrong Way Up reviewed earlier in this thread. A nice meandering electronic pop song with Cale throwing in a viola for good measure.

5 tracks. 2003.

An EP that I have also been able to secure in the last few weeks and in hindsight showed a good insight to the direction that Cale eventfully took with Hobo Sapiens and Black Acetate. Cale made extensive use of ProTools for these 5 tracks and it shows with a less than organic sound. Verses starts us out with a moody song with Cale's gruff voice backed with a wordless female singing in the background. Waiting for Blonde follows and is a tale of a travelling salesman on a train. A funky song with the lyrics spoken at times. This is a very good song. Chums Of Dumpty (We All are) is a bit less melodic though it does come across that he is having fun using his new found music software. Plenty happening in the background an lots of direction changes. E Is Missing has a Guitar leading before getting back to the programmed music. A sad tale and Cale sings accordingly.
Wilderness Approaching finish's this EP. A strong vocal performance with a more minimalist approach to this musically with this song with the vocal and the lyric taking the forefront initially with processed vocals in the background of this slowish song.
A good EP and well worth tracking down for those who like Cale.
4ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote