Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
So, I just listened to This Year's Model.

Highlights for me were (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelse, The Beat and Lipstick Vogue.

The lyrics of Chelse were brilliant and not to forget, the pounding bass and the vocal performance! The keyboards added an excellent touch to it as well. Definitely my favorite.

The Beat, well, that bass says it all!

Love that drum outburst in Lipstick Vogue, and the lyrics again, brilliant to say the least.

'Pump It Up' was a bit, say, cliched for me. But again, the pounding bass and chorus gets stuck in your head...Grrr.

The middle section was a bit weak, but 'You Belong To Me' wasn't all that bad! I didn't like 'Hand in Hand' though. Yeah, It's catchy, but there's nothing much happening here. Pretty average track.

Overall though, I'm definitely impressed! It is a bit more poppy than I thought, but that wasn't a big turn-off. The vocals/bass definitely were the standout's for me, although the keyboards/Drumming were quite good as well. The lyrics were entertaining. Angry as well as funny and sarcastic at times. Cleverly done
Glad you liked it man. I haven't forgotten about this thread btw - life (work and a load of other stuff) has just been a bit more hectic than usual this week. I'll definitely be updating again on Friday, maybe tomorrow

edit - crappy grammar!

Last edited by Bulldog; 11-13-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote