Music Banter - View Single Post - Pitchfork
Thread: Pitchfork
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #68 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Never heard of it until I started here. It's a fairly ridiculous site, I can see why so few people hold their opinions with much gravity.
But that's simply not the case. The fact is that there is no other review site within the indie community at large whose opinions are held with MORE gravity. Pitchfork are extremely influential and, whether one loves them or hates them, there can be no absolutely understating their chiefly importance in terms of being arbiters of taste in the indie world at all.

Quote:
Pitchfork is unique in that it attempts to incorporate absolutely no objectivity in writing reviews. They are not the worst by a long shot -- but they are not a place I would look to find well-written or impartial reviews.
I feel that's a large aspect of their appeal. They are simply SO partisan, SO dogged, SO elitist, SO cooler-and-indier-than-thou, that people began to feel the urge to be as "cool" as them and proceeded to fanatically cling to every opinion they ever put out. On the flipside, it is that exact same reason why they're so hated, AND why the people that hate them which such venom still check up on their latest review scores religiously - if for no other reason than to add additional fuel to their loathing.

Pitchfork is an instance of modern internet marketing at its very cleverest and finest. Spark controversy, fuel outrage, and you're bound to get attention.

I also think that a large number of indie sites on the web probably owe their very existence to Pitchfork.

Positive or otherwise, its impact on the alternative music world from an internet fan perspective is virtually unparalleled...imho.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote