Music Banter - View Single Post - Pitchfork
Thread: Pitchfork
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #70 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
But that's simply not the case. The fact is that there is no other review site within the indie community at large whose opinions are held with MORE gravity. Pitchfork are extremely influential and, whether one loves them or hates them, there can be no absolutely understating their chiefly importance in terms of being arbiters of taste in the indie world at all.
I'm in full agreement here. They're Indie's Rolling Stone. = /

Quote:
I feel that's a large aspect of their appeal. They are simply SO partisan, SO dogged, SO elitist, SO cooler-and-indier-than-thou, that people began to feel the urge to be as "cool" as them and proceeded to fanatically cling to every opinion they ever put out. On the flipside, it is that exact same reason why they're so hated, AND why the people that hate them which such venom still check up on their latest review scores religiously - if for no other reason than to add additional fuel to their loathing.

Pitchfork is an instance of modern internet marketing at its very cleverest and finest. Spark controversy, fuel outrage, and you're bound to get attention.

I also think that a large number of indie sites on the web probably owe their very existence to Pitchfork.

Positive or otherwise, its impact on the alternative music world from an internet fan perspective is virtually unparalleled...imho.
True, but don't you find the whole thing kind of pathetic? Instead of seeking out things for themselves, people would rather have someone else (AKA Pitchfork or some other publication) put an opinion in their mouth, followed by brazenly wearing it on their sleeve as evidence that their taste is music is superior to someone elses. It's always been that way I know, but that's no excuse for folks to sit on their asses and rally behind crappy biases. I mean, Christ, where did the desire to learn and experience things for oneself disappear off to? Loving them or hating them isn't even worth the effort involved when you could be listening to something interesting instead.

And finally, I could care less how appealing their approach is to those who indulge themselves in this sort of trash: anyone who writes off King Crimson, ELP, and everything Yes did after Close to the Edge as "grotesque", yet acknowledges such groups' influences on the musicians they adore isn't worth piss in my book.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 11-13-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote