Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes- it's my list of favourite albums thread
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #59 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Einsturzende Neubauten- Kollaps (1981)

EN (easier to bloody type) are (along with Throbbing Gristle) one of the forerunners of Industrial Music. Todays Industrial is far removed from many of it's origins with guitar riffs or techno based keyboard riffs the order of the day. EN are that type of industrial, they literally are a band that utilises Industrial hardware and incorporate it into the music. This album (their debut) is less defined and less cohesive than their subsequent releases, as the band were experimenting with sounds and textures but that is why I appreciate it more. Electric drills, sanders, upturned tables and steel pipes are just some of the paraphenalia used. Over these sounds you have vocalist Blixa Bargeld using his voice in every way imaginable EXCEPT singing (although the title track employs a more melodious tone). He whispers, screams, rants, whoops and sighs all over proceedings. Guess what though? It works damn it. Of course it's not an album I play frequently but it is incredibly cohesive and eminently listenable. Every time you listen to it, you hear something new.

Music as an experiment is something that should be applauded, not derided and even though it wont be to many peoples tastes, I urge many of you to at least listen to it once and appreciate the sheer wild abandon of non conformity.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”