Music Banter - View Single Post - Ambient music...
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Blue
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Mmmm, Ambient!
Now that's one confusing word(for me atleast). So many bands I listen to are considered "ambient" .

There's Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze(collecting their stuff itself is a daunting task), Brian Eno, Harold Budd and Jean Michel Jarre.

Then there's Dark Ambient(scary kinda music which I usually sleep off to ), 90s Ambient/IDM/Ambient-Techno/Drone-Ambient(some of it has this "beats" you are talking about), and many more weird soundscapes that are considered ambient.

Anyways, I'll just list a few(It's all ambient, but sounds keep varying) -

Steve Roach's Structures From Silence might interest you, but I haven't explored much of his stuff other than that. It's a great piece of ambient work though.

Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene - Not completely ambient for me, but still has a great atmosphere. Sounds a bit dated though.(I didn't like it the last time I listened to it)

Tangerine Dream - Zeit - Great place to start with Tangerine Dream(or atleast where I started). You could go with Phaedra as well, but I like this one more. I could make a compilation, but most of their tracks are quite long.

Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht - A lot of early german so called "Ambient" stuff sounds like this. Very spacey and dreamy. Some krautrock(like Ash Ra Tempel) might interest you as well if you like this.

Murcof - Martes - Ambient, techno kinda thing with a bit of classical thrown in.

Global Communication
- 76:14 and Future Sound of London - Lifeforms - Both amazing ambient-techo. Even if you don't prefer it, this might definitely change your mind. My favorite is definitely 76:14.

The Orb - The Orb Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld - Not exactly ambient-techno, but anyways, an amazing - very much 90s ambient work with a bit of everything thrown in.

Robert Rich & Lustmord - Stalker - Scary stuff. Your either goona sleep off here or **** in your pants

If you don't mind the 90s ambient-IDM-Techno kinda stuff, then there are lot more I could suggest. I'm not much into this "Drone-ambient" kinda thing.(bah all these terms are screwing my brain )
Or hey, I could just make a compilation with a track from all these artists.(If you are interested)
I most certainly would not say no, but you are by no means obliged. Thank you very much for all the artist tips too, I really appreciate it.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote