Music Banter - View Single Post - Pitchfork
Thread: Pitchfork
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #94 (permalink)
Minstrel
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
So yes, I don't care for music magazine culture. Living in the Information Age as we do, you'd think people would transcend this whole shepherd-sheep relationship when it comes to the arts and entertainment
I don't disagree at all. But, really, it's all entertainment. Some people enjoy that style of "appreciating" music...feeling that they're part of a culture. Clubs are, by their very nature, exclusionary and hipster culture is no different. Reading music magazines, or Pitchfork, and other types of things that feed the special-by-way-of-dismissiveness desire is the ticket in. Some people like that feeling. Since art is by definition what people like, I have no problem with that. I, personally, don't care for music magazines and the hipster culture they encourage, but I don't really begrudge them to people who do.

Quote:
Ultimately, I can only control my own tastes in music. Whether or not others let themselves be influenced by shoddy would-be journalists who focus on aesthetics of a scene rather than the music itself is entirelly up to them. I am merely a colossal blue anteater after all!
You can only be who you are, colossal blue anteater or not.