Music Banter - View Single Post - Mostly Autumn
Thread: Mostly Autumn
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okaaayy.. well personally for me, if I didnt like the vocals on a track I wouldn't listen to it. Vocals are perhaps the most important part of a song for me (unless it's instrumental, of course!), which is why although I love some of the music of the likes of Opeth, Haggard etc, once I hear the singing I hit STOP. If I can't enjoy the vocals, I can't enjoy the song, but that's just me.

As far as your list goes, my own thoughts would be as follows (and I'm not saying you're wrong; this is just how I see it) ---

First Thought --- I remember this as being a fairly laid-back track, not particularly special.

Passengers --- Well I love it, don't find it boring, and love the soaraway guitar ending...

Out of the green sky --- Agree wholeheartedly here. Heather's vocals sound more like screaming, and do not in any way counterpoint the somewhat softer tones of Bryan. I also don't like the way it ends on her vocals and not his, and the abrupt ending is something I could have done without.

Distant train --- Again, I love this, for me it really puts into music the feeling of being on a train (yeah well it does for me), and again I love the guitarwork in it.

Carpe Diem --- Nothing to add here. Beautiful, simple, haunting track. Perfect. Written, did you know, about the tsunami victims? And by Heather?

Storms over still water --- Love this. The changes the song goes through, the sentinments experessed in it, the power and passion, and again the excellent guitar. Fitting title track to a powerhouse album.

I'll write my recommendations for their best tracks in another post soon.

As for Pendragon, I have downloaded "Pure" but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, though I absolutely love "Believe", and have also their discography to listen to! So much music, so little time! I'm sure I'll be blown away by it...

Talk soon, hope the second comp is better for you than the first.