Music Banter - View Single Post - Gangster Rap
Thread: Gangster Rap
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
PartisanRanger
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus View Post
I listen to metal and rock and roll in general and have never come across a song that is about violently raping someone or killing someone in a way that is enough for me to stop listening to it. So you can't say that all rock songs are satanic, evil, and violent. I'm definitely not like those "nuts" that burned Iron Maiden CDs or whatever, in fact I love a bit of controversy in music. But I seriously could not take someone's music seriously if they were outrightly singing about raping somebody or brutally murdering somebody and glamorizing it as a heroic lifestyle. Sure, a lot of stuff I listen to might have challenging moral value in the lyrics but none of it glamorizes truly immoral lifestyles.

And to go back on topic I think that is my main problem with a lot of gangster rap - it simply glamorizes crime culture, violence, and abuse towards women and makes these kinds of things heroic actions.
It's okay if you don't like music because of immoral content. What I took issue with was Dac's assertion that music cannot be good if the lyrics go to violent or otherwise reprehensible extremes. That's ridiculous. I personally dig NWA's "**** Tha Police" despite the fact that Ice Cube talks about starting a bloodbath of cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dac
And further, the songs in question take the easy route. Anyone can talk about killing people and make sexist slurs.... Use some figurative language, be creative, emotional, do something productive. Maybe then I'll listen to you. And for the record, I think Number of the Beast is a boring song.
That's a different subject entirely. The problem with gangsta rap these days isn't the brutal lyrics, but the general lack of creativity and innovation.
PartisanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote