Music Banter - View Single Post - Rush
Thread: Rush
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #121 (permalink)
zekethefreak
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohelen View Post
hmm... I wonder if this is the place to get help?? I am visiting Canada, from the UK, my boyfriend is a big fan of rock music and also a drummer with a birthday coming up... problem: I know nothing about either rock or drumming! Doing my research like a good girl who knows a little about bday presents, I have learnt that Canada is the birthplace of RUSH, renound as one of the top classic Rock bands, not only that but containing one of boyfriend's best loved drummers... Neil Peart.

He has none of their records. I want to get an LP for him. Know nothing about LPs.

To cut a long story short I have no idea where to go from here. Which LP do people in the know think is the finest representation of rock and drumming? I gather that Moving Pictures, Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings seems to be battling for top place... I've found 2 "collector" LPs of Hemispheres, one is a picture disc one is red vinyl... (?) for $25 and $20 respectively...

Shall I just chuck in the towel and get a DVD!

Need some guidance from people in the know... Rock lovers help please? :o)
Wow... that is a tough one. Anything Rush would make him happy, but if he is a drummer, I would recommend getting him a live DVD. I have been very pleased with RUSH IN RIO, which not only features a plethora of songs from every part of their career, but the musicianship is fantastic.

As for albums, the special vinyl would be a treat. They aren't things that you can get any old place. And picture discs are a work of art. Most of the time, anyhow.

----------------
Now playing: Ben Folds Five - Magic
via FoxyTunes

Oh, now for MY opinion of Rush. I absolutely LOVE everything from "A Farewell To Kings" up through "Hold Your Fire". There were bits and pieces that I loved from them, once they switched over to Atlantic Records, but I always felt those albums from 1976-1987 were some of the strongest, although very different in style.
zekethefreak is offline   Reply With Quote