Music Banter - View Single Post - Yes- it's my list of favourite albums thread
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #65 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Eloy-Oceans (1978)

I am relatively new to this album but I am such a big fan of it already and as the letter 'E' takes up a small space in my collection, I have no reservations about putting this in.

First off it's Prog Rock. It's a concept album. It has plenty of Moog action. It has the requisite 15 minute plus song. It has dated badly. Exactly why I like it. It has everything that I could hope for in a 70's Prog Rock album. What I also like though is the fact that it does'nt disappear up it's own arse. I love Prog when it just sort of 'floats' with extended keyboard ambience and gentle tempos. When it turns into 'how many time changes and band solo's can I cram into this track' then it completely turns me off. I just want decent, well played Rock with a few musical peaks and troughs.

The keyboard work at times reminds me of Tangerine Dream and as they are both German they probably must have had a little influence on each others. The vocal phrasing is funny at times as the English is heavily accented but it adds to the charm.

If you have never got into Prog but are put off by 20 minutes solo's then this could be a great entry point.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”