Music Banter - View Single Post - Gangster Rap
Thread: Gangster Rap
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
Roygbiv
marquee moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Personally I think just focusing on one aspect such as rape takes away from the point if someone is arguing about the negative effect of Gangsta Rap.

I'd be much more concerned about it giving the impression that it's ok to do anything bad without any consequence.

As for that ad , well it's not like the fashion industry are known for being paragons of virtue , and it's pretty much dominated by other women and gay men anyway. I doubt that ad got made because of any misogynistic tendencies any straight men might have.

As for the dancing , well I could probably find dancing like that in ballet if I looked for it. Is there really much difference in simulating forceful sex and simulating rape in dance? I couldn't say, i've never really looked for it.
The intentions do not have to be there. It's all preconceived. See, even if it were true that the fashion industry was all women and *** men, they still realize that people will immediately get the ad above and laugh, as FaSho did. It's funny because we all get it, because we have all accepted a man and woman's place in society, even if we know that it is "un-enlightened" to think that way.

Oh, and I agree with the Gangsta Rap message being "no consequences."
Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote