Music Banter - View Single Post - Ashes to Ashes: A reintroduction to my personal music library
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Son of JayJamJah
Occams Razor

Default Beggars Banquet

Album #3: Beggars Banquet (1968)
The Rolling Stones
Genre: Blues\Rock
Dedicated to MB Member: Urban Hatemonger

1. "Sympathy for the Devil"
2. "No Expectations"
3. "Dear Doctor"
4. "Parachute Woman"
5. "Jigsaw Puzzle"
6. "Street Fighting Man"
7. "Prodigal Son"
8. "Stray Cat Blues"
9. "Factory Girl"
10. "Salt of the Earth"

Sometime around my 10th birthday I decided I liked the Beatles better then the Rolling Stones then I listened to this album in 1972 and changed my mind for like two years. Still this album has left an indelible mark on me and still stimulates my subconscious, mind and memory and gets my toes a tappin’. Starting out with Sympathy for the devil, still the Stones best song in my opinion; with great lyrics, energy and musical arrangement, plus several signature riffs it’s a great example of the Rolling Stones are their most primitive blues heavy best. I feel like I’m a part of that song when I listen to it, being hypnotized by the howling background singer’s continuous cry and the guitars surly screech and scream. It’s one of the quickest seven minute songs in rock and as good as it is the following less revered track “No Expectations” is only slightly less satisfying and even more melodic and relaxing. As the bluesy acoustic guitar riffs lift my spirits, Jagger snarls on with sorrowful conviction. This slow country blues ballad is a staple of most Rolling Stones comp CD’s\Tapes I’ve made for students in the past. The acoustic blues formula is all over this album especially the remainder of side one; especially Dear Doctor the following number. A true blues standard style and a Sympathy for the Devil mirror finalize the first side of the record in frightful fashion and it has you hooked.

The second half of the album opens with another popular Stones hit, “Sympathy for the Devil” an energetic exclamation of youthful rebellion and energetic aspirations. Everyone dipped their song writing pens in the political protest ink in this era and the Stones were no exception; this song is the album flag of rebellion helping cement the group’s edgy reputation. There is something comforting about the blues and when mixed with a little getty-up like “Prodigal Son” it can become a very fun and free style of music with a wonderful sense of humour within. Almost every song on this album has a great opening, and “Stray Cat Blues” might be the best, grabbing you from the first note it’s another simple song, simply brilliant of course. Chalk this one up to Occams Razor yet again, simplicity is a wonderful asset in a band and when combined with humility and dedication this is the result. “Factory Girl” comes on next and I find myself remembering August 1983 and the first time my daughter was real sick. Holding her in my arms under the stars as this song played. I should have nicknamed her Factory Girl; instead I went with Cheerio, well live and learn. As good as the first nine songs are this album would be nothing in the archives of my mind without the moving finale “Salt of the Earth” and it’s chilling rhythm, somber, emerging verse and emphatic chorus lined with sweet notes of ivory and crashing cymbals. This is how to close an album; with all the soul and spirit of a live performance encapsulated in your best written song by pure music standards. They even get the choir to take you home. Fuck yeah.

I was not even planning on doing this album next, but it came up in my record player and 30 seconds into sympathy for the devil I started typing. This is so many times the origin of inspiration within music for me. Spontaneity, the thrill of the moment the excitement of surprise, not expecting the expected so to speak. Beggars Banquet is an amazing album, the Stones most overlooked, miles better then Exile on Mainstreet in my eyes and don’t get me started on Sticky Fingers. I like the Beatles better know, but the Stones will always have a place in my heart, mind and soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote