Music Banter - View Single Post - Oh yay, another political thread! (Prop 8, gay marriage stuff)
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #82 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I never heard that before. Do you have a source to back that claim up? Also how would thinking he's divine make him an atheist? I would think that would make him religious.

But assuming this claim of yours is true, what you are saying is that he used a religion to further his evil agenda. This just supports the notion that religion has been one of the primary sources of hatred and violence throughout history.
To be honest this was something from back in my college days, so i'm going to need to go find it again. Contrary to popular belief, I don't have all my gethered knowledge at my finger tips.

Your second point is fairly well played, but we're going to get back into word play here.

If we're going to take Hitlers failed religion (it never really caught on) as "religion." We're going to have to make some huge steps.

Firstly, that religion would now include not just the three world religions and possibly the lesser, remote ones but anyone who claims to be Christ. You can't pick and choose, so now we're going to have to include homeless people, Tom Cruise, anything really.

And then we're going to have to look at how we want to define this use of religion. Because we'd have to agree that hitlers church was just his ideas reinforced as he was now they ultimate being.

religion doesn't seem to work that way.

But as I write I realize we've taken the argument off the path. I never said religion didn't cause major evil acts, and since I believe that they have commited horrible acts, i don't think i ever would make that assertion.

My point is, that people who claim to be atheists are just as likely, if not more likely to think less of religios people than the religious are of atheists. Its within most religions that conversion is a noble act. The idea that conversations need to happen, or in Islams case "reverts", means there is an obvious an accepted idea that all people aren't religious.

Atheists however generally find the idea of God foolish, with everything from mutating common colds to...the holocaust as proof that "if god was real, he wouldn't allow this."

Because atheists are generally more keep-to-themselves, non-grouped creatures, it would be hard to blame them for much since they don't operate in groups.

The religious however do, and its easier to target them because their a unified front.

This almost lends itself to my point, that because their easier to target, they are more often target. I don't know under what situation outside of the O'Reilly factor would atheists be balmmed for anything now that Jerry falwells dead.

Edit: I'm using a different computer at work today and this keyboard sucks, sorry for the out of place lack of captitalization.