Music Banter - View Single Post - The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 08:52 PM   #118 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I grew up listening to Faith No More, specifically Patton's output. King for a Day was a huge departure from their previous sound, and doesn't match up to what they did on The Real Thing or Angel Dust. I've listened to it a few odd times and I still can't imagine it's the same band as their earlier records.
I grew up listening to them too. King for a Day is actually one of the few albums in my life that I bought the day it came out. I can see where you'd say it was a departure but I see it more as just going further in the direction they were already moving in. You can hear precursors to the sound of King for a Day on all the songs on the Easy EP that preceded it, in the song "RV" from Angel Dust, and throughout the scattershot musical approach of The Real Thing. In a way, I just see King for a Day as upping the ante on the eclecticism of The Real Thing.

When you look at their entire output with Mike Patton, I think it's actually Angel Dust that stands out as the oddball album. It's the only one that's not all over the place stylistically and it's a lot darker than their other albums. It's one of my favorite albums, but in a way I think it is much more of a departure from Faith No More's style than any of their other albums.

ETA: Sorry just one more thing. I think one thing to keep in mind about King for a Day also is that Trey Spruance from Mr. Bungle was the guitarist on it, so with two Mr. Bungle members in Faith No More there was definitely more of a Bungle influence on the album. Maybe if you approach it as kind of a Faith No More/Mr. Bungle hybrid you might like it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
And Chuck Mosely was an atrocious singer.
Heh. Well you'll get no argument from me there.

Last edited by Janszoon; 11-24-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote