Music Banter - View Single Post - Comus' Review Corner
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #55 (permalink)
Comus
I'm sorry, is this Can?

1. Introduction (1:32)
2. Hazey Jane II (3:46)
3. At The Chime Of A City Clock (4:45)
4. One Of These Things First (4:51)
5. Hazey Jane I (4:29)
6. Bryter Layter (3:22)
7. Fly (3:00)
8. Poor Boy (6:09)
9. Northern Sky (3:45)
10. Sunday (3:43)

The aptly named Introduction starts off this beautiful album, which needs a little more context to review. With the lack of success of Five Leaves Left Drake was obviously a bit disillusioned that such a good album, hailed by his peers would fail as it did. This as evident by Hazey Jane II has changed his vocal style quite drastically, no longer the sombre yet youthful tone he has adopted a far more upbeat tone. This attempt at reaching a more mainstream audience is painfully evident, yet the upbeat tone seems to betray a deeper sadness.

The album has several more guest musicians, apart from Fairport Convention Drake is also supported here by Beach Boys' Mike Kowalski and Ed Carter, not to forget John Cale of Velvet Undergound fame, and various other session artists. With all these changes and guests Drake must have been very confident that he could succeed. However there seems to be a lot of holding back on this album, it's clearly not what he wants in my opinion. That doesn't make it any less of an album though, the underlying sadness and anger can still be felt in his voice despite the apparant upbeat and happy tone of the vocals.

At the Chime of a City Clock is a lovely little song supported by a brilliant string arrangement and a aptly played alto saxophone. The song progresses beautifully and does lift the spirit, it is the first on the album to attempt manipulation of the listener, however it doesn't quite reach since it is early in the album still. I'd like to note that it's easier to sing to these songs as well, not sure how significant this is or if it's intentional but the delivery is far easier to follow.

One of These Things First is quite a quirky departure, listing what Drake "could" have been instead of what he is, including a book, a singpost and a clock among others. The absurdity of the lyrics are betrayed by the confident vocal delivery despite the more whimsical music. This being said every time he sings "one of these things first" you can always imagine a smile on his face. This song breaks up the album well, it is a very nice distraction however it does mean that the next songs will be a slightly less effective in the context.

Hazey Jane I continues the feel of the album, I must admit my research isn't as thorough with this album as usual, so I am unaware whether it is a prequel to the earlier song. Either way it's a beautifully delivered song with Drakes vocals returning slightly back to the sombre feel of Five Leaves Left but never quite getting there. Many say this is a very melancholic album but I fail to see that it ever reaches true melancholy without reading extensively between the lines. The title track Bryter Layter is driven by a lovely melody, a second instrumental song with Drake only contributing guitar.

That Drake chose to have more instrumental work on the album is very positive, it shows further progression and a greater maturity, the whole album feels far better constructed than Five Leaves Left. Fly is one of the more confident songs of the album, a short but lyrically and vocally powerful song it works very well within the context. It also marks where I feel the arrangements start to tug on the heart, there is finally starting to be a more true control of emotions so well set up by Bryter Layter.

Poor Boy is the only song on the album to contain Backing vocals from Pat Arnold and Doris Troy, many will remember Troy from Dark Side of the Moon among others. There is a truly intese feel to this song very much supported by some more alto sax and the soulfully delivered backing vocals. Drake's lyrical ability shines here as with the rest of the album, but what really makes this song shine is the sudden intensity of the song. Often upbeat even in contradiction to the backing vocals and lyrics the musicianship here is a step above the rest of the album. The alto sax is absolutely brilliant and lends a truly organic feel to the song.

Northern Sky is a brilliant love song genuinely happy unlike the other songs on the album where a slight hesitation shows a deep set anger and regret. Again beautifully arranged and played, the playing with time on this song makes for a very interesting listen. Sunday marks the end of the album and what better way to end it than with another beautifully melodic instrumental.

This album sits only half a step if that above Five Leaves left, it is most certainly a more mature album, but also a more false album. Despite the fact that a lot of the optimism is forced by Drake he is lifted up by beautiful arrangements and his own undeniable talent.

9.4/10
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
last.fm

Last edited by Comus; 11-25-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Comus is offline   Reply With Quote