Music Banter - View Single Post - Before you make your 2008 list
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Demonoid
Music Addict

Johnny Flynn - A Larum and Giraffes? Giraffes! - More Skin with Milk-Mouth certainly sounds Interesting. I'll check em out soon.

Anyways, I'll just name a few from an "experimental/prog" point of view -

Kayo Dot - Blue Lambency Downward - Most of their metal influences have vanished here, but this is quite weird, jazzy, avant-garde soundscape that keeps me captured throughout the entire thing. Yeah, I loved it .

Guapo - Elixirs - Guapo are a VERY hard band to describe. Basically, if anyone is familiar with Universe Zero, Magma, or even a bit of Henry Cow, they might have an hint from where these guys are coming from. Five Suns, their best release, is very unsettling, dark, atmospheric avant-garde music.(with some post-rockish ambiance as well)
They are just continuing the good work here, although not as dark, but still great atmospheric stuff that captures you!

The Tangent - Not as good as the book - A great prog. release that doesn't seem to have any bit of over instrumentation or bad vocals whatsoever. It doesn't sound like "just another prog. release" either. There's something refreshingly new here, which I'm not able to pinpoint.

From a metal/alternative rock point of view, there are a couple in mind as well, but I'll post em later.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote