Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #176 (permalink)
jazzrocks
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Since the Byrds recorded anything, they were an electric band. Their first album was Mr Tambourine Man, 1965. An electric album. It is purely irrelevant that the Beatles were an influence for them. They were never (in their recording days) a non-electric band to begin with. The point then is completely moot. As for Dylan, he went electric in 1965, well into the Beatlemania period. The quote you brought gives no indication at all that the Beatles were his main thinking behind going electric. It merely shows that he was impressed with them.

Like I said, I agreed that the Beatles were doing things that the extremely poor competition of early 60s rock'n'roll were not doing. There was no argument there at all.
Again since this came from McGuinn mouth you have no defense. The Byrds were not an electric band until the Beatles influenced them to go electric. Everything from the Beatles folk chord changes, their beat and their use of electric 12 string sound influenced the Byrds to go electric. Again give credit where credit is due

The Byrds

I still didn't know what an electric 12-string was, but when the Beatles released 'A Hard Day's Night,' I had to find out how they were getting that sound. So we made a reconnaissance run to a movie theater that was showing A Hard Day's Night and took notes. Ringo had Ludwig drums and John had that little Rickenbacker 325. George played a Gretsch most of the time, but he also had a Rickenbacker 360, which looked like a 6-string until he turned sideways and you could see six extra tuning pegs emerging from behind the headstock, like a classical guitar. Once I realized what it was, I traded in my Gibson acoustic 12 and bought a Rickenbacker 360/12.

Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead

The Beatles were why we turned from a jug band into a rock 'n' roll band," said Bob Weir. "What we saw them doing was impossibly attractive. ...

Bob Dylan has stated the Beatles were the band that was pointing the direction where music going.

Last edited by jazzrocks; 11-25-2008 at 07:10 PM.
jazzrocks is offline   Reply With Quote