Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #177 (permalink)
Rainard Jalen
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrocks View Post
Again since this came from McGuinn mouth you have no defense. The Byrds were not an electric band until the Beatles influenced them to go electric. Everything from the Beatles folk chord changes, their beat and their use of electric 12 string sound influenced the Byrds to go electric. Again give credit where credit is due

The Byrds

I still didn't know what an electric 12-string was, but when the Beatles released 'A Hard Day's Night,' I had to find out how they were getting that sound. So we made a reconnaissance run to a movie theater that was showing A Hard Day's Night and took notes. Ringo had Ludwig drums and John had that little Rickenbacker 325. George played a Gretsch most of the time, but he also had a Rickenbacker 360, which looked like a 6-string until he turned sideways and you could see six extra tuning pegs emerging from behind the headstock, like a classical guitar. Once I realized what it was, I traded in my Gibson acoustic 12 and bought a Rickenbacker 360/12.
Dude, the point is not complicated. The Byrds, in their recording days, were never NOT an electric band. Do you get that? They never recorded and released anything that wasn't electric. Their first album and their first single were all totally electric. Whatever they were before they started releasing music is totally irrelevant to the general public. So you can say that the Beatles were the reason they decided to be an electric band in the first instance. You cannot say that they went electric, however, because there was nothing that wasn't electric in their discrography. When we talk about a band changing from one thing into another, we are generally talking about a great shift evidenced in their discography (e.g. Prince's 180 degree shift from light disco artist into new wave with Dirty Mind). We don't care what somebody was before they even started recording.

Quote:
Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead
We weren't discussing the Grateful Dead.

Quote:
Bob Dylan has stated the Beatles were the band that was pointing the direction where music going.
Yes. And for a large part, they were. This however does not indicate that it was the Beatles that convinced Dylan to go electric. Like I said, he went electric in 1965, LONG after the onset of Beatlemania.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote