Music Banter - View Single Post - I didn't know where to put this, but I need music help.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #33 (permalink)
Tobias
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonace View Post
As for Sum 41... I can't really say because I don't listen to their music. But if you like it then it doesn't really matter if they're pop-punk or punk or not.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia you might find useful:

"Most [Sum 41] fans and critics agree that Half Hour of Power and All Killer No Filler were purely pop punk, but Does This Look Infected? started moving toward heavier styles, such as alternative rock and alternative metal,[45] with Chuck being mostly alternative metal. "
How can something be POPular if it didn't really get mainstream attention? I'm talking about Half-Hour of Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
Prog is basically progressive rock, arguably the most well known prog rock band is Pink Floyd you can find a wealth of stuff on youtube. That type of progressive rock is identified by often long guitar solos and symphonic melodies. Other bands to check into would be early Genesis, Jethro Tull and Yes.

If you like guitars you'll love the rock stylings of Leaf Hound, read my review in my review corner and if you're piqued ask me for a PM.
Would Tool be considered Prog?

I like guitars, I'm actually really getting into a full symphony with guitars and drums, and also, rap songs being remixed with guitars and drums, like Travis Barkers remixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think there's little more to it than that. There are pop-punk bands out there who are not well known. It's not about the fact that the band is popular, it's about the fact that they do have a certain sound. It's a sound based on the mainstays of pop music: hooks, catchy choruses, tight instrumentation, etc.

I mean, listen to how poppy this Blink 182 songs is:

Regardless of it being "poppy", it's still good, and has a LOT of meaning behind it.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote