Music Banter - View Single Post - I didn't know where to put this, but I need music help.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #47 (permalink)
Tobias
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
My saying that it's poppy is not meant as a putdown, just an observation. I have also mentioned in this thread that several classic punk bands like The Clash, The Ramones, and X were also fairly poppy.

Am I missing something? I thought the point of this thread was that you wanted some suggestions of punk bands to check out, but you seem more interested in arguing about the term "pop".
I'm not trying to argue...I'm trying to figure this out. Don't mistake my questions for instigations. Yes you got it, this thread is for suggestions to me so i can expand my taste.

And before this thread, all i've ever heard the word pop being referred to is the music that EVERYONE hates. Because they use it in this context, "Ugh that's so poppy"

So sorry if I tend to associate that word with a descriptor of disgust. And I always thought that the Ramones were like the fathers of Punk, or at least that's what i've always been told. So calling them poppy seemed like a contradiction to me.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote