Music Banter - View Single Post - Mac vs. PC
Thread: Mac vs. PC
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #36 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Lodge View Post
I use Protools daily. There is a major difference between the way PC runs Protools, and a Mac runs Protools.

I would never use a "free" program in my profession. Imagine if albums were recorded on GarageBand? No. No dice, friends.

All I'm saying is that Mac's totally have a niche for people who NEED them. I think we are all in agreeance with this, no?
A difference in the PC/Mac versions of the software or a difference in how well ProTools runs on PC and Mac? Assuming it's the latter and ProTools doesn't run as well on your PC, then I'll say this.

It's not a fair test to take an arbitrary PC and Mac, run ProTools on both, compare results, and then infer that a Mac will always be a better choice for audio work. The typical Mac will probably be better than the typical PC for audio work and this is because Apples tend to be geared towards audio whereas PCs are whatever you make them. If you buy a pre-built PC from a big retailer (the majority of PCs), you can't expect it to be great for audio work because that isn't the target market of the manufacturer.

However, you can build your own PC and customise it so that its audio hardware specs are equivalent to an Apple computer. It might end up being cheaper or more expensive. PC equivalents are generally cheaper, but I'm not sure if that is true when it comes to audio hardware.

But yeah, I don't know why people can't accept that PCs and Macs both have their merits and are better suited for particular people.